Monday, May 08, 2006

I'm not dead yet....

Okay, so this isn't really a good start to my whole blogging routine. That break was far too long (especially having made only one post so far). To some degree I had an excuse (heh, pardon the pun). To clarify I was in the process of finishing my degree. All of the course work is now done, but do to a clerical disagreement, the registrar thinks that I didn't apply to graduate, so I will be getting my diploma in November. Not that it makes a huge deal, but it would have been nice to get it this spring.

I seem to have this mental block that makes me think I should only be blogging at the end of the day, kind of like a summary. I suppose it all depends on what I'd like this blog to turn into. I do know that I won't be blogging while at work (I have issues with that sort of thing), but there's not really anything stopping me from writing entries before or after work. I do have a feeling that most of my posts will be long and on occasion rambly (me, ramble?.. never), and as much as I don't want to become just another link blog, I will probably be posting them from time to time. Actually probabaly every blog. I guess that sort of presupposes that people are going to be reading this blog (in fact this whole entry seems to be based on that assumption). On of the reasons that I avoided blogging for so long was that I don't see it as being able to entail everything that a true personal journal can. There are some thoughts that are meant to be private, some ideas or inner mental workings that people are not supposed to share, and those can't be expressed in blogs. This is where I face my conundrum. I'm not convinced that I have anything new to express other than my opinions, and, since everyone has their own set, what would make mine so appealing as to draw others to them? Is it arrogance that makes me assume that people would read this? Unlike one of my favorite blogs, written by Guy Kawasaki (http://blog.guykawasaki.com/), that provides useful advise and great tips for startups (among other topics), I have no such experience to draw on, at least, not yet. So what purpose does a personal blog server if it's not being used for marketing, or knowledge transfer. I guess it's one of the only ways we can "see" into each other's minds. I know people who are attracted to those that they can't figure out. It becomes like a puzzle to them, but then it leads to the question why, when there is so much to learn about ourselves, so many hidden secrets locked in our own minds, do we as a race of people obsess about understanding others. It is said that on the temple of the Oracle of Apollo, the phrase "Gnothi se auton" (Know thyself) was enscribed, and much of ancient philosophy seemed to use that as a compass. Of course, it ended up terribly off course, as philosophical discussions are wont to do (not that tha's a bad thing in any sense), but it seems like one of the best starting points. People seem to decide much of the course of thier lives based on what they can and cannot do, but if you don't know yourself, how do you know that you can't do something? How do you know that you can, for that matter? Sometimes, finding out you can't do something is ever better than finding out you can. It can be a catalyst. I've been trying out for a C2 Men's soccer team over the last couple of weeks. The try-outs were with an under 21 team that the coach is also, well, coaching, and I've been getting my butt handed to my up and down the field by these 20 year olds (I'm 24) for the last couple of weeks. It culminated in an exhibition game, which took place yesterday. We didn't even have a full 11 players show up, so I, being in terrible conditioning, was forced to play the full 90 minutes. Yes, I know it sounds like a lot of whining, but by midway through the first half, ir felt like I almost couldn't walk. The drive to make this team was so great, that I finished the game, and actually had a better second half than I did the first. But it hasn't ended there. It also forced me to realize that my body wasn't going to be able to handle what I was putting it through with what I was feeding it. Today was the first day that I really got up and made a real dinner on a week night. I don't order out very often, I just don't tend to eat dinner. Well, tonight I had a healthy full rounded meal (let's hope my cooking is more consistent than my blogging). Whether or not I make this team, I'm going to be better off for having tried; for having pushed myself to see if I could make this team.

Wow, that was far more text that I was expecting. I would apologize, but this is what tends to happen when I'm given an open invitation to the floor (hmm.. I think that as a mixed metaphor, but I'm lucky to have been able to spell metaphor). Unfortunately (or fortunately if you can stomach my ramblings) this will probably be par for the course for my blog, although, I'm hoping the frequency increases.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seem to have this mental block that makes me think I should only be blogging at the end of the day, kind of like a summary.

Doogie Howser Syndrome. I've seen it many times.

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home